Online registration for IGS 2013 Beijing, China symposium is now open

Online registration for IGS 2013 Beijing, China symposium is now open

Magnus Magnusson

Dear Cryolist members

Online registration for the International Symposium on 'Changes in Glaciers and Ice Sheets: observations, modelling and environmental interactions', due to be held 28 July–2 August at the Beijing Conference Center in Beijing, China, is now open.

Please go to http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2013/beijing/

The pre-registration deadline is 15 May 2013. After that date a late fee of $80 will be added

Please remember to check whether you require a visa to travel to China. If so, you will need an invitation letter from the Local Organizing Committee (LOC). Please contact the LOC at by e-mailing Guangjian Wu ([hidden email])

To reserve your accommodation and to ensure the most favourable rate please contact the Local Organizing Committee by e-mailing Guangjian Wu ([hidden email]). You will need to indicate what type of room you need (Details). They will reserve your accommodation and you will simply pay at the venue.

The second circular is posted on the symposium website and the IGS website.

The abstract deadline is 1 April. Please go to http://www.igsoc.org/symposia/2013/beijing/ and submit your abstract.

All the best

Magnús

Magnús Már Magnússon

Secretary General

International Glaciological Society

Scott Polar Research Institute

Lensfield Road

Cambridge CB2 1ER

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1223 355 974

Fax: +44 (0)1223 354 931

E-Mail: [hidden email] or [hidden email]

Web: http://www.igsoc.org/

Glacier hazards

Porter, Philip R

Dear colleagues

I am currently in discussions with a UK-based TV company who are interested in producing a documentary on the topic of glacier hazards, particularly those associated with deglaciation. It is likely that filming will focus on work we are carrying out in the Swiss Alps on proglacial lake formation (and potential for catastrophic drainage), but we are also interested in talking with colleagues who may be undertaking fieldwork this summer in the general subject area of glacier hazards.

Of particular interest is research focussed on ice avalanching, proglacial lake formation/drainage, mass movement associated with down-wasting/de-buttressing and flooding from glaciated catchments.

If colleagues are working in these areas (or indeed in other areas related to glacier hazards) and are happy for me to make contact to discuss I would be very keen to hear from you.

With thanks and best wishes, Phil Porter.

Dr P R Porter

Principal Lecturer in Physical Geography

Programme Tutor Geography and Environment

School of Life and Medical Sciences

University of Hertfordshire

College Lane

Hatfield