POLAR2018, Remote Sensing of Cryosphere, Abstracts due Nov 1

POLAR2018, Remote Sensing of Cryosphere, Abstracts due Nov 1

Kimberly Casey
Dear Cryolist Colleagues,

We invite you to submit an abstract to a session on Remote Sensing of the Cryosphere at the upcoming Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) and International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) joint meeting POLAR2018, 19-23 June 2018, in Davos, Switzerland.

Session ID: TE-3;   Remote Sensing of Polar Regions

Session description: Our understanding of the rate and physical processes controlling change in Earth’s ice covered regions has been revolutionized in the last 2 decades by remotely sensed observations. Earth Observation satellites have improved the spatial and temporal sampling of cryospheric regions, and historical datasets now provide an invaluable long term record of change. New satellite missions (e.g. SMOS, Sentinel, CryoSat, TerraSAR-X, WorldView, GRACE, Cosmo-SkyMed) have employed innovative sensors, imaging modes, and high latitude orbits to measure the cryosphere. It is increasingly clear that improvements in our ability to exploit satellite measurements of the cryosphere will only be achieved through coordinated progress in the measurement of surface state variables, enhanced modeling capabilities coupled with the development of new remote sensing concepts. Some of these new developments have included the use of new satellite platforms and methods to improve geospatial measurements, e.g., remotely sensed data for snow monitoring, glaciological and mass balance studies, ice sheet flow and geodynamics over short temporal scales, understanding the marine cryosphere and interactions with the ocean and atmosphere. This session aims to highlight recent scientific results in all aspects of remote sensing of the cryosphere, over land and sea ice. Presentations should address interpretation of cryospheric data from satellite, airborne or in situ instruments.

Conveners: Alexandre Langlois, Chris Derksen, Anna Hogg, Kimberly Casey

Important deadlines:
1 November 2017   Abstract submission deadline, Early-bird registration opens
31 January 2018     Acceptance notification with oral/poster information

We look forward to seeing you in Davos in June 2018!

Kimberly Casey, PhD
Land Remote Sensing Program, U.S. Geological Survey Headquarters
Cryospheric Sciences Lab, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center