POLAR2018: Snow on sea ice

Stefan Kern-2

Dear colleagues and sea ice friends,

POLAR2018 is a unique joint event organized by the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research SCAR and the International Arctic Science Committee IASC, which will take place in Davos, Switzerland, from 15 - 26 June 2018 with the open science conference from 19 - 23 June; see http://www.polar2018.org for general information.

Following up with our first invitation on September 27 we would like to encourage you to submit your presentation to the conference session entitled "The role of snow on sea ice for sea-ice parameter retrieval and variability".

We invite studies dealing with in situ observations, with retrieval from satellite observations, modeling and combinations thereof for snow parameters on sea ice. We also invite studies on methods for quantifying the influence of (unknown) snow properties on the satellite retrieval of sea-ice parameters, on reducing the noise, improving the accuracy of retrieved sea-ice parameters due to snow properties, and related studies.

Conveners of this session are: Stefan Kern: [hidden email], Burcu Özsoy: [hidden email], Georg Heygster: [hidden email], and Leif T. Pedersen: [hidden email]

Please find details about the program as well as deadlines here: http://www.polar2018.org/program.html

We are looking very much forward to shape an interesting session based on the mixture of your oral and poster presentations. Please submit until November 1 under http://www.polar2018.org/abstracts.html!

Best regards,

Stefan, Burcu, Georg, and Leif

--
HAVE AN ICE DAY

 Dr. Stefan Kern                     SEA ICE <> SNOW <> REMOTE SENSING

 Integrated Climate Data Center - ICDC
 Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability
 Universität Hamburg
 Grindelberg 5
 20144 Hamburg

 Tel: +49 (0) 40 42838 2415
 Fax: +49 (0) 40 42838 7712
 mobil: +49 (0) 174 9310955

 http://icdc.cen.uni-hamburg.de
 http://www.clisap.de/clisap/people/stefan_kern/
 www.cen.uni-hamburg.de

The Cluster of Excellence "Integrated Climate System Analysis and
Prediction" (CliSAP) is a joint effort of Universität Hamburg and
its partners, supported by the German Research Foundation. CliSAP is
the nucleus of the Center for Earth System Research and Sustainability
(CEN). The CEN combines expertise from the natural and social sciences
and unites nine institutes and research centers at Universität Hamburg.