POLAR2018 session Permafrost: connecting measurements, monitoring, and modelling

POLAR2018 session Permafrost: connecting measurements, monitoring, and modelling

Ketil Isaksen
Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the session "Permafrost: connecting measurements, monitoring, and modelling" at the POLAR2018 SCAR/IASC Conference in Davos, Switzerland (http://www.polar2018.org/). This session will be part of the Open Science Conference, 19 - 23 June 2018.

Call for abstracts http://www.polar2018.org/abstracts.html
Abstract submission deadline is on 1 November 2017, 6pm CET.

Session Description:
The quantification of permafrost and its changes over time is important and strongly reliant on model simulations. At the same time our understanding of permafrost systems is hampered by sparse data, environmental heterogeneity, and scale effects that make simulation and up-scaling difficult. We invite reports on individual studies and larger initiatives investigating permafrost and to enhance collaboration between the monitoring and modeling communities. Topics of special interest thereby include the systematic collection of observations into coherent datasets, the evaluation of model simulation results with observations, analyses of uncertainty across measurements, monitoring and modeling, and the visualization and communication of results and their uncertainties to diverse audiences.

We look forward to seeing you in Davos in June 2018!

Ketil Isaksen (The Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Norway)
Sarah Chadburn (University of Leeds, University of Exeter, UK)
Joe Melton (Environment and Climate Change Canada)
Gonçalo Vieira (CEG/IGOT - Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal)