*Permafrost Dynamics, Biophysical and Socio-Economic Linkages: Connecting Science to Policy (GC073)*, AGU2018 session

*Permafrost Dynamics, Biophysical and Socio-Economic Linkages: Connecting Science to Policy (GC073)*, AGU2018 session

Jens Strauss
Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract for our AGU 2018 session

*Permafrost Dynamics, Biophysical and Socio-Economic Linkages: Connecting Science to Policy (GC073)*
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm18/prelim.cgi/Session/44051

Session abstract:
Permafrost dynamics are a focal point in pan-Arctic research due to their potential impacts and feedbacks on the Earth system. Permafrost landscape dynamics also play a crucial role in contemporary subsistence practices, infrastructure, and resource development in many areas. Thus, there is an urgent need to (1) refine the understanding of permafrost thawing and aggradation processes, (2) combine biogeophysical and socio-economic sciences in permafrost research, and (3) connect scientific findings to policy.
This session highlights the role of permafrost dynamics and the impact of permafrost changes on the environment and society. We welcome studies about the implications of permafrost degradation for communities, infrastructure, wildlife, hydrology, and the storage and release of carbon, nutrients and pollutants. Studies can be short-term field-based efforts, long-term programs, remote sensing and modelling approaches, as well as interdisciplinary efforts including interviews. We particularly invite research aimed at connecting permafrost science to policy and stakeholders.

This session is chaired by Daniel Fortier (Université de Montréal), Gerald Frost (Alaska Biological Research, Inc.), Ylva Sjöberg (Stockholm University), and me (Alfred Wegener Institute).

*Abstract Submission Deadline: 1 August 2018, 11:59 PM EDT*
We encourage early career researchers submitting their abstracts as well, and as a student you could apply for a travel grant (https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/travel-grants/).

We are looking forward to meeting you in Washington, D.C.

Best,
Jens

Dr. Jens Strauss
Permafrost Research Unit Potsdam, at the:

Alfred Wegener Institute Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research
postal: Telegrafenberg A45 | 14473 Potsdam | Germany
office: Building A45-108

phone: +49-(0)331-288-2185
fax:   +49-(0)331-288-2137
e-Mail: [hidden email]