Ph.D. student or Postdoc opportunity to study tidewater glacier change with ICESat-2

Ph.D. student or Postdoc opportunity to study tidewater glacier change with ICESat-2

Bartholomaus, Timothy (tbartholomaus@uidaho.edu)
Dear Cryolist,

The Glaciers Dynamics lab at the University of Idaho seeks a Ph.D. student or postdoctoral researcher to work on a NASA-funded project to study tidewater glacier change around the Greenland Ice Sheet using new data from the ICESat-2 satellite.   The successful applicant will draw on the satellite’s high spatial- and temporal-resolution elevation data for research targets potentially including iceberg calving, ice-ocean interactions, crevassing, and glacier bed coupling.  The successful applicant will join a research team co-led with Dr. Ginny Catania of the University of Texas.

I seek curious, hard-working, quantitatively-oriented applicants.  Ph.D. students will receive 3 years of support as a research assistant; up to 2 years of support is available for a postdoctoral researcher.  I invite candidates with backgrounds in geophysics, earth science, physics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, or other quantitative fields.  Programming experience with Python, R, Matlab, or similar, is especially valuable for this position.  Our group values the diverse backgrounds of our members, and individuals identifying with groups underrepresented in the Earth Sciences are especially encouraged to apply.

Funding for this position is available now.  I would prefer that the successful applicant for either position start this fall, with the Ph.D. student formally beginning classes in January 2020.  To apply for either position, please email [hidden email], attaching your C.V. and a letter of interest, stating your motivation for the position, relevant experience, and your potential start date at the University.  Ph.D. applicants should additionally ask that three letters of reference be sent to me and provide transcripts for all college or postgraduate coursework (unofficial is fine).  The successful graduate student candidate will also apply to the Graduate School at the University of Idaho.  Postdoctoral researchers should additionally provide a list of three references.  Consideration of applicants will begin on September 15th and continue until the position is filled.

The University of Idaho, in Moscow, ID, is located in the northern panhandle of Idaho, in the picturesque, vibrant, walkable, small town of Moscow (population of 25,000; https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-getaway-to-the-tuscany-of-america-1532716438).  UI has an enrollment of 12,000 students and is the state’s flagship research university.  Moscow features access to the mountains and rivers of the northern Rockies and a low cost of living.  Additional information about our group can be found at http://tbartholomaus.org/.  Information about the Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Idaho, including how to apply, is here: https://www.uidaho.edu/sci/geology.  Additional questions about this position can be directed to [hidden email].