PhD opportunity

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

PhD opportunity

Rea, Dr Brice R.

Dear all, I would like to bring to your attention a PhD project which may be interest and please pass on to any of your students who may interested.  The project is entitled “The application of millimetre wave radar to the study of volcano-glacier interactions and ice-ocean interactions in conditions of reduced visibility” and will be jointly supervised between the University of St Andrews (UStA) and the University of Aberdeen.


The overall aim of this PhD is to develop the use of millimetre wave radar for applications in geosciences, focusing on volcano-glacier and ice-ocean interactions.


Further details including funding elegibility and the application process can be found here can be found here:


This PhD will be 45% funded by SAGES, the Scottish Alliance for Geoscience, Environment and Society (, in a competitive process. There are no eligibility restrictions for the SAGES funding. ** The closing date for applications is January 26th 2018 ** The remaining 55% will be provided by an EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership studentship for which the usual EPSRC eligibility rules will apply.


The successful candidate will be highly numerate and have, or expect to have, a UK Honours Degree at 2.1 or above, or equivalent, in a relevant subject area (e.g. geophysics, physical geography, environmental science, geology, electronic engineering, physics).


or please feel free to cotnact the lead supervisor Dr Duncan A. Robertson ([hidden email]) or myself Brice Rea ([hidden email]).







Brice R. Rea

Geography and Environment

School of Geosciences

University of Aberdeen

Elphinstone Road

Aberdeen AB24 3UF


Tel: +44 (0)1224 272339

Fax: +44 (0)1224 272331

e-mail: [hidden email]


The University of Aberdeen is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC013683.
Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.
You're subscribed to the CRYOLIST mailing list
To send a message to the list, email [hidden email]
For posting guidelines, see