Quantcast

PhD student for NSF funded Antarctic project

PhD student for NSF funded Antarctic project

Putkonen, Jaakko

PhD student sought for a NSF funded project to study landscape evolution and geomorphology in Antarctica.

Collaborative Research: Long Term Sublimation/Preservation of Two Separate, Buried Glacier Ice Masses, Ong Valley, Southern Transantarctic Mountains; Jaakko Putkonen: University of North Dakota, Daniel Morgan: Vanderbilt University, and Greg Balco: Berkeley Geochronology Center. The graduate research requires travel and work in Antarctica for a period of about two months. The home institution for the student will be University of North Dakota, Harold Hamm School of Geology and Geological Engineering, Grand Forks, ND. However, he/she will be advised and will be collaborating with all the project leaders listed above. Also, travel between institutions may be required.

The major challenge of this project is determining how old the ice is and how fast it is subliming (or accumulating). We will address this by collecting six shallow (10 m long) ice cores – three from each of the two separate, buried ice bodies – and applying several approaches based on cosmogenic-nuclide geochemistry to constrain the age of the ice and overburden, as well as the sublimation rate of the ice.

The specific tasks of the student: will learn to process cosmogenic isotope samples and build, manipulate, and run MatLab codes. Must be eager and able to do field work in deep back country, living in a tent for an extended period of time. Any experience with these topics is beneficial for the applicant.

More information on the Harold Hamm School of Geology and Geological Engineering can be found:

http://engineering.und.edu/geology-and-geological-engineering/

Link to applications page:

http://graduateschool.und.edu/future-students/index.cfm

We will start reading the applications as soon as they arrive and make our decision no sooner than 3/1/2017. After that date we will accept applications until the position is filled.

For more information contact: Jaakko Putkonen, telephone 701-777-3213, [hidden email]

--

cheers

Jaakko

Jaakko Putkonen, Ph.D, Associate Professor, Director

Harold Hamm School of Geology and Geological Engineering, MS 8358

University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8358

USA

tel: 701-777-3213