Polar Geospatial Center (PGC) Seminar Series #4: Dr. Ellyn Enderlin, Boise State University, Wednesday 30 September, 12-1pm Central US

Polar Geospatial Center (PGC) Seminar Series #4: Dr. Ellyn Enderlin, Boise State University, Wednesday 30 September, 12-1pm Central US

Jonathan Pundsack
Polar Geospatial Center (PGC) Seminar Series #4: Dr. Ellyn Enderlin, Boise State University

"Remote Sensing of Icebergs: Can iceberg elevation time series provide insights into changing glacier-ocean interactions?"

Webinar Details:
SPEAKER: Dr. Ellyn Enderlin
TITLE: Remote Sensing of Icebergs: Can iceberg elevation time series provide insights into changing glacier-ocean interactions?
DATE: Wednesday 30th September
TIME: 12-1pm US central time

Registration is open to the public.

Abstract: Icebergs have long instilled fear in the hearts of polar navigators, motivating the development of in situ and remotely-sensed datasets to monitor their movement in regions where they pose hazards to commercial shipping operations. Although icebergs have been tracked in the open ocean for decades, there was relatively little research on icebergs in glacial fjords prior to the 21st century. In this presentation, I will explain how high-resolution remotely-sensed elevation time series of icebergs in glacial fjords can be used as a tool to better understand changing ice-ocean interactions in otherwise inaccessible locations. I will focus primarily on estimation of iceberg freshwater fluxes and melt rates by members of my group and what those data can potentially tell us about submarine melt conditions near glacier termini. Iceberg melt data will be presented for both Greenland and Antarctica, including new iceberg melt time series for a dozen locations spanning the Antarctic periphery. I will also briefly describe promising new research that utilizes iceberg elevation time series and fragmentation theory to explore controls on iceberg calving. Although the full potential of iceberg elevation data is still unknown, this presentation will hopefully inspire you to think more about icebergs!

The webinar will include an interactive Q&A session with our guest speaker and PGC staff, and a recording will be available on our website. We hope you take the opportunity to attend and ask questions you may want answered.

In light of the Arctic and Antarctic field seasons cancellations and changes, the PGC is taking this opportunity to showcase some of our users’ remote sensing based techniques and research that may inspire or supplement any project changes others have experienced.

Join us to learn about the different efforts to utilize remote sensing in polar science. Our Remaining Fall Lineup for the PGC Users Webinar - Science Speakers series is as follows:

5) Andrew Fleming at the British Antarctic Survey will be presenting "Ships in ice – Keeping Antarctic mariners up to date."

DATE: Oct 14 10-11AM Central
REGISTRATION: https://umn.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_eRY7f8RVS1aeSY3ZB7m0Jw

If you are a PGC User, use remote sensing techniques in your polar research and would like to become a guest science speaker, please contact Cathleen Torres Parisian at [hidden email] for more information.

The Polar Geospatial Center (PGC) is a research facility funded by the National Science Foundation.
PGC is a proud part of the University of Minnesota's College of Science and Engineering.

--
Jonathan Pundsack, Managing Director
Polar Geospatial Center

www.pgc.umn.edu