Position: Science Writer and Communications Specialist
Organization: Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
Location: East Boothbay, Maine
Posting link: https://www.bigelow.org/
This new position is an exciting opportunity for you to help communicate the wonder and importance of cutting-edge ocean research to non-scientific audiences.
Bigelow Laboratory is a nonprofit research institute that studies the life at the base of food webs in the ocean. Most of these organisms are microscopic in size, but they have a massive influence on the health of our oceans and our planet. Our scientists conduct research in every ocean and bring what they learn back to our state-of-the-art laboratory in East Boothbay, Maine.
In this science communications role, you would work closely with the director of communications, research staff, and advancement team to create engaging content in support of Bigelow Laboratory’s expanding communications strategies.
Excellent science writing ability, attention to detail, critical thinking, creativity, strong work ethic, and interpersonal skills will be key to success. You would report to the director of communications. Your focus would be on content creation, primarily writing. However, as the second member of a small communications team, you would need to be flexible and ready to fully apply yourself to any assigned task.
Primary: Use in-person interviews and written scientific materials to generate accurate, compelling communications for non-scientific audiences
– Write content for printed and electronic communications, such as Bigelow Laboratory’s Transect magazine, annual report, and email newsletter
– Write press releases and assist with media relations efforts
– Generate social media content and contribute to the strategy behind it
– Create and update promotional materials that help build new partnerships and inspire generous philanthropy
– Proofread and edit text, making suggestions for alignment with strategic messages, clarity, and resonance with target audiences
– Write and edit website content
Secondary: Support Bigelow Laboratory communications through a wide range of creative and administrative efforts
– Organize and run outreach and education events, such as our annual open house, Café Sci series, and occasional lab tours
– Create electronic communications, such as marketing emails and PowerPoint presentations, that are effective and meet established brand standards
– Create and update the design of some materials using Adobe Creative Cloud
– Conduct research in support of our communications strategy and contribute to its ongoing evolution
– Organize communications resources, create documentation, and manage supply of promotional items and materials
– Take and edit high-quality photos and videos
To be qualified for this opportunity, you must have:
– Demonstrated ability to write engaging and accurate science content for non-scientific audiences
– Two to five years of relevant work experience; however, recent master’s graduates with exceptional skills and experience will also be considered
– Excellent computer and organizational skills
– Bachelor’s or master’s degree in a relevant field
Additionally, it would be beneficial if you have:
– A great eye for graphic design
– Advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Illustrator
– Significant experience with website content and design
– Demonstrated ability to take and edit high-quality photos and videos
Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences is a nonprofit marine research institute with an international reputation for excellence that spans more than 40 years. This position is located at our state-of-the-art research and education campus, which sits along Maine’s stunning coastline in East Boothbay. It is a full-time, permanent position that offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a full benefits package.
If you are interested in this position and feel your experience aligns with the responsibilities and requirements outlined above, we strongly encourage you to consider joining our team. Please upload your cover letter, resume, and three writing samples you feel are most relevant to this position: https://blos.wufoo.
Review of applications will begin immediately. For full consideration, please apply by September 5. If the position is posted on Bigelow Laboratory’s career page, we are still accepting and actively reviewing applications: https://www.
Bigelow Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Department of Marine and Coastal Sciences
Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
You're subscribed to the CRYOLIST mailing list
To send a message to the list, email [hidden email]
For posting guidelines, see http://cryolist.org/posting.html
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|