Postdocs and a Phd position available for research in Greenland

Postdocs and a Phd position available for research in Greenland

Christner,Brent Craig

Postdocs and a PhD position available for NSF-funded research in Greenland

Spend your summers in Greenland, winters in Florida!

We seek two Postdoctoral Researchers and a Ph.D. student to participate in an NSF-funded multidisciplinary research project titled “Significance of Ice-loss to landscapes in the Arctic: SILA (Inuit concept of the physical world and weather)” (https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2000649). This project builds on collaborations developed through the UF Water Institute Graduate Fellowship Program (see information at https://waterinstitute.ufl.edu/education/wigf/2019-cohort/). The research goal is to take an integrated approach to studying feedbacks between hydrogeology, geochemistry, biogeochemistry, microbiology, botany, ecosystem ecology, and weathering associated with retreat of the Greenland Ice Sheet.

The project includes collaborations with a diverse group of UF faculty and students.  Field seasons are planned for summer 2021 and 2022, with a shorter field season in 2023. Fieldwork will start May 2021 and focus on a transect from the ice sheet to the coast between the towns of Kangerlussuaq and Sisimiut. A major component of the project involves environmental civics, which we define as science communication, leadership, civic engagement, and public service. The ideal candidates will have interests in interdisciplinary collaborations, organizing and executing high latitude fieldwork, and relating their specific research on high latitude environmental sciences and climate change to non-science communities, We are also looking for candidates with demonstrated abilities to conduct independent research as well as effective oral and written communication skills.

Participants in the Greenland project embrace multiple perspectives and approaches. We strive to build a community that values cultural and scientific differences. We encourage applicants who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of this academic endeavor.

Microbiology: The anticipated start date for the postdoctoral position is January 2021 and funds are available for 2.5 years of support. Applicants must have a Ph.D. degree in microbiology, biogeochemistry, or environmental science. Prior field experience, familiarity with computational and statistical tools in microbial ecology, and knowledge of molecular biological techniques are highly desired. Apply here: https://apply.interfolio.com/78603. Contact Brent Christner ([hidden email]) for additional information.

Geological Sciences: We plan to hire one Postdoc and one PhD for two distinct projects. One project will focus on biogeochemistry of weathering reactions in watersheds and the other will focus on radiogenic isotopes as tracers of dust and weathering processes from the ice to the ocean.

The Postdoctoral position provides 3 years of funding plus heath care. Review of applications will begin Oct.1 and continue until the position is filled. The preferred start date is early 2021.  Apply here: https://apply.interfolio.com/78379. Contact Jon Martin ([hidden email]) for information.

The Ph.D. position comes with a research assistant stipend starting August 2021, tuition, and health care, plus funding to participation in the 2021 field season. Applications are due January 15, 2021. Contact Ellen Martin ([hidden email]) for information.

Thank you!

Brent Christner

Ellen Martin

Jonathan Martin