Postdoctoral Research Scientist at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

Postdoctoral Research Scientist at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

Tedesco Marco

Dear all,

this is the same announcement I sent a few weeks ago but I had forgotten to add the link for submission. My apologies for the mistake and cross-posting.

Marco

Postdoctoral Research Scientist at  Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory

The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University invites applications for a Postdoctoral Research Scientist in cryospheric sciences. Researchers at the Observatory work to understand the dynamics of the Earth’s chemical, physical and biological systems, from the core to the upper atmosphere, including Earth’s interactions with human society. Our scientists lead research in the fields of solid Earth dynamics; ocean, atmospheric and climate systems; cryospheric sciences; paleoclimate and biogeoscience.

 The selected candidate will specifically focus on the Greenland ice sheet in collaboration with the University of Michigan (Dr. Mark Flanner) and the glaciated areas of Mars in collaboration with the University of Montana (Dr. Christine Foreman). The overall goals of the projects include the understanding of the surface impurities over Greenland and their impact on albedo through regional climate modeling. The projects also aim at exploring representations of bio-impurity albedo impacts that are suitable for use in the Community Earth System Model (CESM) as well as the analysis of hyperspectral data collected over Mars for identifying potential regions for bio-ecological niches.

 Applicants are required to have completed a Ph.D. in Geography, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Engineering, Glaciology, or Geophysics by the starting date. We encourage applications from those with scientific background in hyperspectral data analysis, spectral un-mixing and knowledge of snow/ice physical processes leading to changes in broadband and spectral albedo. Scientific excellence, a clearly expressed plan to investigate problems at the forefront of cryospheric science and expertise matching or close to those described above preferred. Excellent programming and/or mathematical skills, and ability to work in a team while developing his/her own research ideas is also desired.

 Applicants are encouraged to contact M Tedesco ([hidden email]) ahead of time to discuss topics and applications. Questions can be sent to: [hidden email].

Starting date: December 1st, 2017 or after then.

Appointment will be for 1 year, with continuation pending funding and progress.

Search will remain open for at least 30 days after the ad appears and will continue until the position is filled.

Please visit our online application site at  https://academicjobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=65291

for further information about this position and to submit your application and curriculum vitae, contact information for three references, a cover letter and a statement of research.

Columbia University benefits offered with this Officer of Research appointment.

Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer -- Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.

We accept online applications only.

Marco Tedesco, PhD
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Columbia University
and
NASA Goddard Institute of Space Studies
Ph: +1 8453658910
cell: +1 2023754884

@cryocity

Remote Sensing of the Cryosphere - Book available here