Postponement of the NASA Surface Deformation and Change (SDC) Community Workshop, May 19-21, 2020, Caltech, Pasadena, CA

Postponement of the NASA Surface Deformation and Change (SDC) Community Workshop, May 19-21, 2020, Caltech, Pasadena, CA

Khazendar, Ala (US 334H)

Dear Colleagues,

We have decided to postpone the NASA Surface Deformation and Change (SDC) Community Workshop, that was scheduled to take place on May 19-21, 2020, at the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA. We look forward to announcing a new date when travel and in-person collaborations return to normal. For reference, the save-the-date flyer for the now postponed in-person workshop can be found at:

https://science.nasa.gov/files/science-red/s3fs-public/atoms/files/sdc_flyer_workshop_may2020.pdf

In the meantime, we will instead look for an opportunity to engage with you virtually.  We hope therefore that you will continue to “save the date” for May 19-21 while we finalize plans to make partial use of that time for a mini-tele-workshop. The main aims of the short virtual meeting would be to provide you with an update on the progress of the SDC study (see below for more details on ongoing activities), to receive your input and, ultimately, to continue to build community support for the objectives of SDC.

We invite you to learn more about SDC, including the ongoing work of four thematic groups focusing on the Cryosphere, Ecosystems, Hydrology and Solid Earth and Geohazards. This information can be found at:

https://science.nasa.gov/earth-science/decadal-sdc

In summary, SDC is a “Designated Observable Study” sponsored by NASA in response to the National Academies 2017 Decadal Survey, which recommended to NASA that radar observations of surface deformation and change would help shape the next decade of Earth Science and Applications. This study is exploring the observational capabilities and their parameters sought by the research and applications communities, and what the architecture of an eventual mission would be.

For any questions, please contact Ala Khazendar ([hidden email]) and Andrew Molthan ([hidden email]).

With best wishes,

Ala and the SDC Research and Applications Team

Ala Khazendar

Jet Propulsion Laboratory

M/S 300 - 319

4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, CA 91109

Tel :  818 393 1581         Fax :  818 393 5184

ala.khazendar@jpl.nasa.gov