Registration for WAIS Workshop 2020's community discussions

Registration for WAIS Workshop 2020's community discussions

Matthew Siegfried-2
Colleagues,

Over the past two years, the WAIS Workshop has started hosting community discussions intended to facilitate conversations that may expand and improve our community. This year, we invite you to join us for two discussions:

Race in West Antarctica
October 6, 2020, 13:00 to 15:00 EDT
Presentations by Polar Impact Network and the National Science Foundation

COVID-19 Impacts on Early Career Researchers
October 7, 2020, 12:00 to 14:00 EDT
Presentations by the National Science Foundation, NASA, USAP Data Center, Marine and Geology Repository, National Snow and Ice Data Center, the US Ice Drilling Program, Christine Hulbe, and Eric Steig.

To register to attend our discussion, please fill out the form at the following link: https://forms.gle/YWHT6AHh3RXr8h7v6Please register by Friday, October 2 at 20:00 EDT.

In an effort to help guide our second discussion, we have developed a survey to understand how COVID-19 has impacted the polar community, which you can find here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1qU23h55KyOmwn-uPIxwW2_zPwuU5m9SLEmX_hB13DeM/editWe  welcome responses from all career stages, regardless of whether or not you plan to attend the WAIS Workshop. We recognize that this survey is US-centric in design; we are happy to work with non-US-based colleagues who are interested in developing partner-surveys to solicit more relevant feedback. We are especially interested in assessing impacts on early-career researchers, but we also would like to know how community members in general are impacted by COVID-19 and what individuals and institutions are doing to mitigate these impacts. Please try to fill out this survey by Friday, October 2 so we can share the anonymized results with presenters and discussion leaders.

Thanks,
The WAIS Workshop Organizing Committee

Knut Christianson
Indrani Das
Brooke Medley
Peter Neff
Matt Siegfried
Lauren Simkins

--
Matthew R. Siegfried
Assistant Professor

Colorado School of Mines
1500 Illinois St., Golden, CO 80401
[hidden email] | https://www.minesglaciology.com/

Deadline tonight: registration for WAIS Workshop 2020's community discussions

Matthew Siegfried-2
Colleagues,

Just a friendly reminder that registration for our WAIS Workshop community discussions closes tonight. Registration details from the science sessions does not transfer, so please sign up again if you are interested. You can register to attend here: https://forms.gle/YWHT6AHh3RXr8h7v6Registration closes at 8p EDT tonight, and attendance details will be send out on Monday.

We also would still love to hear your thoughts on how COVID-19 has impacted researchers in the polar community, so if you have a moment, please let us know your thoughts by filling out this survey: https://forms.gle/5ap5yHhByCm3pQEG7

We look forward to seeing you next week and thank you for helping make our COVID-19 edition of the WAIS Workshop a success! We'll send just one more email to you all when our Virtual Science Sessions are posted online, with a save the date for 2021. Stay tuned...

Race in West Antarctica
October 6, 2020, 13:00 to 15:00 EDT
Presentations by Polar Impact Network and the National Science Foundation

COVID-19 Impacts on Early Career Researchers
October 7, 2020, 12:00 to 14:00 EDT
Presentations by the National Science Foundation, NASA, USAP Data Center, Marine and Geology Repository, National Snow and Ice Data Center, the NSF Ice Core Facility, Christina Hulbe, and Eric Steig.

In an effort to help guide our second discussion, we have developed a survey to understand how COVID-19 has impacted the polar community, which you can find here: https://forms.gle/5ap5yHhByCm3pQEG7We  welcome responses from all career stages, regardless of whether or not you plan to attend the WAIS Workshop. We recognize that this survey is US-centric in design; we are happy to work with non-US-based colleagues who are interested in developing partner-surveys to solicit more relevant feedback. We are especially interested in assessing impacts on early-career researchers, but we also would like to know how community members in general are impacted by COVID-19 and what individuals and institutions are doing to mitigate these impacts. Please try to fill out this survey by Friday, October 2 so we can share the anonymized results with presenters and discussion leaders.