Remote sensing glacier processes session at AGU

Remote sensing glacier processes session at AGU

William Armstrong
Dear cryo colleagues,

If you use remote sensing to study glacier processes ranging from calving to firn densification, please consider submitting to our AGU session "Glacier processes from large scale remote sensing" (Session C019). The abstract deadline is 01 Aug 2018 at 23:59 (EDT).

Invited speakers Ellyn Enderlin (University of Maine) and Thorsten Seehaus (Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg) will embody this session's theme of using large spatial and/or temporal scale remote sensing datasets to further process understanding of glacier behavior across the world's glacierized regions.

Session description
In glaciology, as in many fields, the rate of data production has reached a pace that often exceeds the rate of insight generation. A wide array of earth-observing satellites allow scientists to investigate glacier processes over larger spatial scales at higher temporal resolution than ever before. However, extracting process understanding from this rich data record remains a challenge.

Deeper understanding of glacier processes is critical for accurately assessing and predicting current and future glacier change and associated downstream impacts. In this session, we seek studies that exploit the wealth of remote sensing data to increase our understanding of glacier processes, including: basal motion, calving, grounding line migration, elevation change, ice flow, surging, and mass balance. We particularly seek large spatial and/or temporal scale studies that characterize process variability and its controlling physical factors. We also solicit studies using innovative analysis techniques, such as cross-sensor approaches, machine learning, and modeling-aided interpretation.

Please feel free to contact me or another convener if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you in December!

Your conveners,

Bas Altena (University of Oslo)
Billy Armstrong (Appalachian State University)
Amaury Dehecq (NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
Twila Moon (National Snow and Ice Data Center)

William Armstrong, PhD
Visiting Assistant Professor
Geological and Environmental Sciences
Appalachian State University