Reply: Lidar on snow/ice at 1.57 micrometer

Reply: Lidar on snow/ice at 1.57 micrometer

Matthew J Lato

Hello, a colleague of mine forwarded me this email as I deal primarily with lidar services at NGI.

In terms of snow and ice lidar data collection, the optimal wavelength is around 1024 nm. The issue with longer wavelengths is their high absorption by water. The 1570nm will be as you say much more eyesafe, but you should not expect to get many returns. Depending on snow conditions you may get good returns directly under the platform, as long as there is not a ice cover that will act as a pure reflector and saturate your instrument.

Sorry it is not so clear, but this is a tricky situation you are working with.

Regards, Matt Lato

__

med vennlig hilsen
for Norges Geotekniske Institutt (NGI)
Matt Lato

Postadresse: Postboks 3930 UllevÄl Stadion, 0806 Oslo
Gateadresse: Sognsveien 72, 0855 Oslo
Mobil:  +47 465 42 970
Faks:   +47 22 23 04 48
Web: www.ngi.no

The confidentiality or integrity of this message can not be guaranteed following transmission on the Internet. The addressee should be aware of this before using the contents of this message.