SUMup snow depth, density and accumulation data collection effort

SUMup snow depth, density and accumulation data collection effort

Koenig, Lora S. (GSFC-6150)

All,

The Surface Mass Balance and Snow on Sea Ice Working Group (SUMup) is leading NASA's effort to improve spatial and temporal estimates of surface mass balance on ice sheets and snow accumulation on sea ice.  At the 2012 SUMup meeting it was determined that easy, consolidated access to observational data would help improve modeling and remote sensing efforts.  SUMup is currently compiling three observational datasets to be updated yearly and distributed to the community.  We have already compiled many datasets internally and are asking the cryosphere community for additional contributions to the three datasets which are:

1) Annual Accumulation over the ice sheets and ice caps from 1800 on including ice cores, stake and radar measurements.

2) Snow Density over sea ice, ice sheets and ice caps.

3) Snow Depth over sea ice including measurement and radar derived snow depths.

If you would like to contribute data to any of these datasets, all data contributors will be cited in the dataset, or have addition questions please visit the SUMup webpage at http://neptune.gsfc.nasa.gov/csb/index.php?section=267 or email Lora Koenig at [hidden email]Please contact me by March 31, 2013 if you would like to contribute to this effort.

We will notify cryolist when the datasets are posted and thanks in advance for your contributions.

Lora Koenig, Rick Forster and Nathan Kurtz, SUMup Co-Chairs

Lora Koenig

Cryospheric Sciences Laboratory, Code 615.0

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Greenbelt, MD 20771

Phone: 301-614-5507

Fax: 301-614-5644