Save the Dates - October 13-16 – for the U.S. Interdisciplinary Antarctic Earth Sciences meeting and Deep Field Camp Planning Workshop

Save the Dates - October 13-16 – for the U.S. Interdisciplinary Antarctic Earth Sciences meeting and Deep Field Camp Planning Workshop

Licht, Kathy J.

The 2019 U.S. Interdisciplinary Antarctic Earth Sciences meeting is scheduled for October 13-15 at Camp Cedar Glen near Julian, CA. The meeting is intended to provide a forum to present and discuss results of exciting new Antarctic research across the spectrum of the Earth Sciences and to encourage conversations about future interdisciplinary collaborations.

As with the previous meetings, we will follow a single session format that will include invited and contributed presentations, poster sessions, and informal discussion time to explore new collaborative research opportunities. The program will be guided by an interdisciplinary organizing committee that will identify unifying session themes based on community interest along with the critical questions identified by the U.S. Polar Research Board and the International Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research. More details about session themes, registration cost, travel support, etc., will follow in the coming weeks. Both food and lodging will be available for all as part of the registration cost  at Camp Cedar Glen. We anticipate the abstract deadline will be in early August. The meeting will immediately precede the West Antarctic ice sheet (WAIS) meeting, which will be held Oct. 16-18.

A U.S. Deep Field Camp Planning workshop will begin at noon on Oct. 15 and continue through October 16th. The goal of the workshop is to identify top science priorities across NSF Antarctic programs that require logistics support from a deep field camp and we encourage participation by all who have an interest. The outcome will be a short list of potential deep field sites along with documentation of the high-priority, multidisciplinary science questions best addressed at that site. We will be sending out a pre-workshop questionnaire to the research community to gather as much input as possible, so please look for that in your inbox in the coming months.

We anticipate NSF sponsorship of the conference and workshop.

Please share this announcement with others, particularly graduate students and early career scientists who may be interested but didn't receive this message. If you wish to be taken off this email list please reply to this message. Hope to see you in October!

Kathy Licht
On behalf of the IAES Organizing committee:  Byron Adams, Brent Goehring, John Isbell, Kurt Panter, Leigh Stearns, Kirsty Tinto

Kathy Licht
Associate Professor
IUPUI Department of Earth Sciences
Indianapolis, IN 46202