Sea Ice and Ice Shelves Session at SCAR Open Science

Sea Ice and Ice Shelves Session at SCAR Open Science

Stephen Ackley

Abstracts are due  for the XXXII SCAR Open Science Conference, July 13-25, 2012 Portland, OR, USA by 15 February 2012
We are convening a session on Antarctic Sea Ice and Ice Shelves at the upcoming SCAR Open Science Conference in Portland, Oregon and we encourage you to apply. The first 200 student participants to have abstracts accepted will receive free registration.  The session is described, along with other themes, and you can submit at:

Status and Trends in Antarctic Sea Ice and Ice Shelves

Marilyn Raphael (US) [hidden email]; Steve Ackley (US); Laurie Padman (US)

This session seeks papers that focus on Antarctic sea ice and ice shelves. From the satellite record, there have been seasonal and annual changes in sea ice extent that have manifested themselves regionally especially in the major Antarctic seas. At the same time portions of some Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves have collapsed and extensive bottom melting has been documented in other Antarctic ice shelves . In this session we welcome papers that address the status of Antarctic sea ice - climatology, variability, trend and properties - and examine contributors to these. Analyses that use both modeled and observed data are welcome. Papers that examine the status of the ice shelves, change in ice shelves, possible links between ice shelf change, sea ice change, surface temperatures and ocean warming are similarly encouraged.