Sea ice session at POLAR18

Marilyn Raphael

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to advertise and/or to remind you of the POLAR18 meeting (http://www.polar2018.org) to be held in Davos in June 2018.  POLAR2018 is organized by the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) and the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) and will take place in Davos, Switzerland, from 15 - 26 June 2018. There will be a number of sessions of interest to all of us. In particular, one of them- Understanding sea ice extent and volume and ice shelves from modern and paleo records - is co-convened by Ted Maksym, Simon Belt and Marilyn Raphael.  The Session Description is below. I encourage you to submit an abstract to this session. You may go to http://www.polar2018.org/abstracts.html for information on and instructions for submitting your abstract.  Please note that the deadline for abstract submission is November 1, 2017. I look forward to seeing many of you at the meeting next year.

Thanks, and best wishes,

Marilyn Raphael

Ted Maksym

Simon Belt

SESSION TITLE AND DESCRIPTION

Understanding sea ice extent and volume and ice shelves from modern and paleo records.

 Antarctic and Arctic coastal and sea ice zones are undergoing rapid and prolonged changes. Portions of some Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves have collapsed and extensive bottom melting has been documented in other Antarctic ice shelves. Although submarine, air- and space-borne sensors provide a fairly accurate account of Arctic sea-ice volume trends, similar observations in the Antarctic are less common and more difficult to interpret. As a result, we have much less understanding of sea ice volume despite its sensitive response to climate variability. In order to fully understand the significance of all the contemporary changes, it is also necessary to examine them within the context of past sea ice changes over longer timeframes from geological records using a range of proxy methods. In this session, we invite papers that focus on current and past Arctic and Antarctic sea ice trends, sea ice properties and processes, the current status of ice shelves and their interactions with sea ice, sea-ice volume measurement, monitoring, and prediction, together with the mechanisms that control them. In all cases, studies that offer interdisciplinary approaches (e.g. field measurements/proxy methods combined with modelling) are particularly welcome.