Seeking graduate student for Antarctic hydrology remote sensing project

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view

Seeking graduate student for Antarctic hydrology remote sensing project

Michael N. Gooseff
Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for cross-postings.  We are seeking to fill a graduate research assistant opportunity that is available starting this fall.  We realize that this is a bit off-cycle, however, if you know of excellent applicants, we would appreciate you forwarding this to them.  They can of course contact me ([hidden email]) or Derrick Lampkin ([hidden email]).  This ad is posted on my web page as a .pdf as well:

Many thanks for your assistance with this.


Graduate Research Assistant Opportunity: Antarctic Soil Hydrology Remote Sensing

Department Civil & Environmental Engineering, Penn State University


The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at Penn State University is seeking a graduate student to work on a research project supported by the National Science Foundation to study the frequency and distribution of wetted soils in the polar desert of the McMurdo Dry Valleys, Antarctica.  We are primarily using high frequency (2-3 acquisitions per week from the “light season”, October-March), high-resolution (0.5-0.6 m) remote sensing products (Quickbird, WorldView I & II) provided by the Polar Geospatial Center ( identify wetted soils across the Dry Valleys landscape.  Two years of imagery have been acquired, and future years will include the same level of acquisition or better. 

Two years of funding are available to support a student on this project starting fall semester 2011 or sooner if available.  The successful applicant will be confident using an array of common software tools likely including MATLAB and ArcGIS.  Experience with ENVI or similar software is welcome, but not required.  The graduate student will pursue an advanced degree in Civil Engineering and therefore will be best-suited if they possess either a quantitative background or an undergraduate degree in an engineering discipline.

The Water Resources Engineering group and broader group of hydrologic and earth scientists across the Penn State campus provide an excellent network of peers and mentors. For information on application process or project details contact Dr. Michael Gooseff ([hidden email]) or Dr. Derrick Lampkin ([hidden email]), or see .    

Dr. Michael N. Gooseff
Associate Professor
Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
231P Sackett Building
Penn State University
University Park, PA 16802 USA

phone: 814.867.0044
fax: 814.863.7304

You're subscribed to the CRYOLIST mailing list
To change your subscription options, visit
To send a message to the list, email [hidden email]