Seligman crystal for Almut Iken

Magnus Magnusson

Dear Cryolist members

The IGS has decided to award the Seligman crystal to Almut Iken.

Almut Iken pioneered research into the role of basal water on subglacial motion via a combination of theoretical, modelling and bespoke field studies during the 1980s and 1990s. This work provided motivation and inspiration for the next generation of eminent glaciologists to follow on and extend the reach of her work, which has been transferred from valley glaciers to ice sheets.

Her classic papers continue to be well cited today, testimony to the game changing nature of her contribution to the discipline.

We are hoping to have the awards ceremony at the IGS symposium in Fairbanks, Alaska next June. We look forward to seeing you there.

All the best

Magnús

Magnús Már Magnússon

Secretary General

International Glaciological Society

Scott Polar Research Institute

Lensfield Road

Cambridge CB2 1ER

United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1223 355 974

Fax: +44 (0)1223 354 931

E-Mail: [hidden email] or [hidden email]

Web: http://www.igsoc.org/