Session Proposals for AGU Fall 2017 Meeting

Session Proposals for AGU Fall 2017 Meeting

Adam Winstral

AGU is currently accepting session proposals for this year’s Fall Meeting, which will take place 11-15 December in New Orleans.  We look forward to a great meeting featuring vibrant sessions and presentations from Cryosphere Focus Group members and our collaborators throughout the scientific community. The entire process of building an outstanding meeting begins now with these session proposals. Once again, we’re counting on you to make this year’s Fall AGU Meeting the best one yet.

Please note that there are now several new session formats available. Panel discussions and “lightning” sessions were introduced last year. This year a new multimedia presentation format has been introduced. Information on these new formats is available here: http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2017/alternate-session-formats/.

We strongly encourage submissions from students and early career scientists and look forward to seeing as many new faces as possible in convener roles. The deadline for proposals is 11:59 PM (ET) on 19 April. All the information for submitting a proposal can be found here: https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2017/session-proposals/

One more note geared primarily to the remote sensing community. For the past several years we have hosted a general Remote Sensing (RS) of the Cryosphere session at the AGU Fall Meeting.  The number of aerial and satellite remote sensing platforms and sensors, and the creative applications for this type of data, have grown significantly in recent years, and now touches nearly every corner of cryospheric research.  With this growth in research, there has been an attendant growth in the popularity of the RS session, which last year attracted 90 abstracts.  The Cryosphere Executive Committee along with many of the RS conveners and researchers, feel that the size of this session has become too cumbersome. The Committee’s thoughts are that sessions with a more defined target audience would be of benefit to presenters, conveners, schedulers, and attendees as they navigate through the abstract submission and scheduling processes. Last year, in the final stages of scheduling, the conveners of the 2016 session acknowledged the breadth of their large session and subdivided the general session into four sub-topics: Snow, Arctic, Land Ice, and Frontiers. However, such late modification is rare, generally not possible, and potentially adds scheduling confusion for presenters and meeting attendees. This year, we encourage those interested in proposing RS sessions to tailor proposals along more narrowly defined topics such as sensor, parameter, geographic, thematic, or scientific questions.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Your AGU Fall Meeting program committee:

Adam Winstral

WSL-SLF

Tim Bartholomaus

University of Idaho

Deadline for AGU session proposals 6 days away

Bartholomaus, Timothy (tbartholomaus@uidaho.edu)
The deadline for submitting session proposals for the AGU Fall Meeting is April 19 at 23:59 EDT.  https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2017/session-proposals/

The Cryosphere Focus Group presently has 10 submitted session proposals, which you can view here:

Please have a look.  If you don’t see a place for your permafrost, sea ice, lake and river ice, seasonal snow, glacier or ice sheet science, we hope you will consider submitting a session proposal.
See below for additional guidelines and suggestions regarding session proposals.

Thanks for your help in crafting an exciting and diverse program for this year’s Fall Meeting, in New Orleans.

Your representatives to the AGU Fall Meeting program committee,

Tim Bartholomaus
University of Idaho

Adam Winstral
WSL-SLF