Snow Geophysics and Remote Sensing Graduate Opportunities at Boise State

Snow Geophysics and Remote Sensing Graduate Opportunities at Boise State

Hp Marshall

Snow Geophysics and Remote Sensing Graduate Opportunities starting January 2021 at Boise State

The Department of Geosciences at Boise State University (Boise, Idaho, USA) has immediate openings for MSc and PhD geophysics applications on a project funded by the U.S. Army Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRREL) entitled “Advancement of snow monitoring for water resources, vehicle mobility, and hazard mitigation: using optical, microwave, acoustic, and seismic techniques“. This project aims to improve our ability to map snow properties related to hydrology and vehicle mobility, and to monitor avalanche events, using remote sensing and geophysics.

Graduate positions are currently available to focus on 1) LiDAR and optical remote sensing of snow, 2) ground-based and InSAR radar remote sensing of snow, and 3) seismo-acoustic sensing of snow. All three projects involve data acquisition with state-of-the-art instrumentation, numerical modeling, interpretation, and analysis.

Requirements

For all applicants, a prior degree in geophysics, engineering, physics, applied mathematics, remote sensing, or related fields is desired, with proficient skills in statistical data analysis and scientific programming (R, Python, Fortran, Matlab, or similar). Interest in snow and ice physics is expected. Experience in numerical modelling, working with Unix-like operating systems, and data acquisition, is an advantage. Good written and oral English language communication skills are expected.

Further Information

 For further information please visit http://earth.boisestate.edu or contact Hans-Peter Marshall ([hidden email], 208-426-1416). Co-PIs Ellyn Enderlin, Dylan Mikesell, Lee Liberty, Jeff Johnson, and Jake Anderson can be contacted as well.

The place of employment will be Boise, Idaho, USA, a metropolitan area with many outdoor opportunities close by. The targeted starting date is 1 January 2021.

Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy and we strongly encourage people from underrepresented minority groups and women to apply.

We look forward to your application! Please see this link for more information about our graduate program and how to apply.

Hans-Peter Marshall, Associate Professor
Cryosphere Geophysics And Remote Sensing (CryoGARS)
Department of Geosciences, Boise State University
1910 University Dr., ERB 3155
Boise, ID 83725-1536
http://earth.boisestate.edu/cryogars
Twitter: @snowradar