Snow Level and Precipitation: Trends, Extremes and Impacts Special Session CGU May 28-31, 2017 Vancouver, BC

Snow Level and Precipitation: Trends, Extremes and Impacts Special Session CGU May 28-31, 2017 Vancouver, BC

Brugman, Mindy (EC)

Please join us at Canadian Geophysical Union AGM Meeting May 28-31, 2017 at UBC in Vancouver, BC

This is an invitation to join our special session that includes the Cryosphere

The abstract submission deadline is Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 11:59pm PST.

Abstracts can be submitted online at http://cgu-ugc2017meeting.ca/abstract-submission/.

http://cgu-ugc2017meeting.ca/hydrology/

Snow Level and Precipitation: Trends, Extremes and Impacts

We will have a field trip to our Pacific Storm Prediction Service forecasting office and other special activities too.

https://cgu-ugc.ca/2017-cgu-annual-meeting-will-be-held-in-vancouver/

See you there!!

Mindy

http://cgu-ugc2017meeting.ca/registration/

Dr Melinda M Brugman (Mindy)
Senior Research and Development Meteorologist
National Lab for Coastal & Mountain Meteorology

Prediction Services and Operations - West
Meteorological Service of Canada
Environment and Climate Change Canada
201-401 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3S5, Canada
Telephone : 1-604-713-9518
Facsimile: 1-604-664-9004
[hidden email]

H08: Snow Level and Precipitation: Trends, Extremes and Impacts

Co-chairs: Mindy Brugman1, and Ron Stewart 2

1 Coastal and Mountain Meteorology National Lab West, MSC, Environment and

Climate Change Canada, Vancouver, BC, V6C 3S5

Phone: 604-713-9518, E-mail: [hidden email]

Session Description

Snow Level is closely tied to Precipitation Intensity, and both factors change dramatically

with individual weather systems and climate change. Modeling of the melting snow

transition layer, through which precipitation melts from snow into rain is critical for

accurate snow level forecasting. Also, the heavier the precipitation rate, the greater the

cooling required in the atmosphere to melt the snow, and the lower the snow level. A

series of interrelated processes occur in the melting snow transition layer that can be

observed with a variety of instruments, and can be tracked with time. The intensity of

precipitation is expected to increase with global warming, and there already is some

suggestion that convective precipitation is increasing on earth. In recent years we have

been experiencing repeated record breaking precipitation events, and impactful snow

level changes. How more frequent will extreme events now occur? The impacts caused

by more intense precipitation with or without rapidly varying snow levels, can be

extreme. The current trends are for the snow level to rise, however with more intense

precipitation it is possible deep snow will still accumulate at the highest elevations. All

papers related to snow level and precipitation, from observations to modeling, past

present and future are invited. Studies that provide new insight into remote sensing of

melting snow layer properties and the physics controlling precipitation and snow level

variations are invited. Innovative new methods are welcome, including isotopic

applications. Studies that focus on precipitation intensity and detection of shifts and

extremes are also welcome. Investigations on the impacts of past snow level and

precipitation intensity changes are needed, to improve our understanding of current trends

and extremes, so we can accurately warn and effectively prepare for change. In addition,

related regional impact studies such as flooding, avalanche and water supply changes are

welcome.

.

Primary Affiliation: Joint cgu/CSAFM/ Meteorology/ Hydrology/ Earth Surface

Processes / Glaciology