Snow cover on the downhill! Check out our 2nd article on conditions in the Western US.

Snow cover on the downhill! Check out our 2nd article on conditions in the Western US.

Karl Rittger

Scientists, water resource managers and winter recreationists take notice: a new tool, entitled Snow Today, is available to help snow lovers monitor conditions—from the local to regional scale. Snow Today provides near-real-time updates of snow conditions across the Northern Hemisphere as well as monthly analyses of the data, focusing on the Western United States. This is a joint venture of the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) and the Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research (INSTAAR).

Along with Mark Raleigh of NSIDC, I (Karl Rittger) at INSTAAR lead Snow Today,  meant to serve an interdisciplinary audience—from skiers and snowmobilers to climate scientists to water resource managers and those simply interested in weather. It fills a much-needed gap in snow science communication by presenting an ongoing narrative on snow conditions that ties together data, analysis and context. Each year, the Snow Today team will release a monthly analysis from January to May or June, depending on conditions, with the first post available today.

Updated daily, but also with a new article “Snow cover on the downhill” posted yesterday!

Snow Today:

https://nsidc.org/snow-today

Cheers,

--