Transparency transparency and open data

O'Neel, Shad

Dear Colleagues:

I would like to invite you to an exciting set of short talks and discussion focused on transparent science and open data practices in the cryosphere community, that will be held on Friday 22 September at 9 am Alaska Time (1 pm eastern).

This event is hosted by the Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC)   Glaciers & Sea-level Collaboration Team. At this meeting, we have three speakers who have agreed to lead a discussion on science transparency and open data. Here is part of what each brings to the meeting as discussion material:

Anthony Arendt – University of Washington, High Mountain Asia project, Geohack week

Lora Koenig – National Snow and Ice Data Center, SUMup data set release

Fiamma Straneo – Scripps Institution of Oceanography, GRISO Research Coordination Network Group

We are planning a discussion session about data centers, common formatting of data and metadata, tools for versioning and how open data policy and science transparency are impacting our work. How do we shift our culture to embrace and leverage the data sharing and integration tools that are beginning to emerge?

We invite all interested researchers and stakeholders to participate in our fourth meeting on 22 September 2017 at 9:00 AM Alaska Time (1:00 pm EST).

How to participate?

If you don’t already have one, request an account on IARPC Collaborations, where information is shared among the 1000+ members of the Arctic research community. Once you have an account,  join our collaboration team and you will automatically be notified of upcoming collaboration team meetings via email. You may also RSVP and view the connection information for our next meeting here.

Best,

Shad O’Neel and Joe MacGregor – IARPC Glaciers and Sea Level Collaboration Team.