Upcoming ACCAP Alaska Climate Webinars - Sept 21 (The BLOB) and 22 (ASSW/AOS)

Upcoming ACCAP Alaska Climate Webinars - Sept 21 (The BLOB) and 22 (ASSW/AOS)

Tina Buxbaum
Hello All,

Where did the summer go!  After taking the past two months off we are back at webinars with a full schedule for this fall and early winter.   We have two webinars scheduled for September.

Details are below:

1. Monday September 21 at 11am ADT - Special Joint ACCAP/UAF Atmospheric Department webinar:
Dr. Richard James, Senior Scientist with Prescient Weather
Unusual climate anomalies over North America in the past two winters have stimulated renewed interest in the seasonal influence of North Pacific sea surface temperature (SST) patterns on the atmospheric circulation in the Pacific-North America region. Hartmann (2015) proposed that a "North Pacific Mode" of SST anomalies was partly responsible for the dominant ridge-trough structure over North America in winter 2013-2014. In this study we examine the historical connection between the North Pacific Mode and winter climate anomalies over Alaska, and we identify both similarities with, and important differences from, the influence of other leading SST modes that are related to ENSO and the PDO. We also illustrate and explore the non-linear nature of Alaska's winter climate response to the North Pacific Mode.
Available in-person in IARC 401 (UAF Campus)

2. Tuesday, September 22 at 10am ADT
Hajo Eicken (UAF), Peter Schlosser (Columbia University)
Arctic Science Summit Week (ASSW) is the annual gathering of international organizations engaged in supporting and facilitating long-term planning in Arctic research and related measurement campaigns. ASSW provides opportunities for coordination, collaboration and cooperation in all areas of Arctic science. The Arctic Observing Summit (AOS), which is part of the larger ASSW umbrella, is a high-level, biennial summit that aims to provide community-driven, science-based guidance for the design, implementation, coordination and sustained long-term (decades) operation of an international network of Arctic observing systems. Two of the AOS 2016 Co-Chairs Hajo Eicken (UAF) and Peter Schlosser (Columbia University, ISAC Steering Committee Chair) will provide a brief overview of AOS background, objectives and specific themes and activities identified for AOS 2016.
Available in-person in IARC 407 (UAF Campus)

Additionally, here are the other webinars we have in the works:
Mike Brubaker, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium

Jack Hébert, Cold Climate Housing Research Center (CCHRC)

Jeremy Mathis, Director NOAA Arctic Research Program (ARP)

I hope everyone's fall is going splendidly.

Cheers,
Tina

--
Tina Buxbaum