Upcoming ACCAP November Webinars - November 10, 20 and 24th.

Upcoming ACCAP November Webinars - November 10, 20 and 24th.

Tina Buxbaum
Hello All,
Below are the webinars we have coming up in November, starting tomorrow!
Please share as you see fit.
They will all be recorded and available at the links below.
Tina
Tuesday, November 10 @10am
Friday, November 20 @ 12am
Tuesday, November 24 @11am
Tuesday, November 10 (10am ADT)
Observing Alaska Lake and River Freeze-up through Fresh Eyes on Ice
Dr. Dana Brown, Dr. Laura Oxtoby, and Dr. Chris Arp
Investigators, Fresh Eyes on Ice Project
University of Alaska Fairbanks
The timing of freeze-up and winter conditions have changed throughout Alaska, and this has consequences for our ecosystems and our way of life in the winter season. Changing ice conditions and their influence on our winter travel and recreation safety has motivated the UAF Fresh Eyes on Ice project, a new freshwater ice observation network across Alaska. This seminar will provide an overview of freeze-up science and how you can be involved in helping share freeze-up and other ice condition observations this winter.

More information and registration below

Friday, November 20 (12pm ADT)
November 2020 National Weather Service Alaska Climate Outlook Briefing
Rick Thoman,
Alaska Center for Climate Assessment and Policy (ACCAP)
International Arctic Research Center
University of Alaska Fairbanks
The tools and techniques for making monthly and season scale climate forecasts are rapidly changing, with the potential to provide useful forecasts at the month and longer range. We will review recent climate conditions around Alaska, review some forecast tools and finish up the Climate Prediction Center’s forecast for December and the winter season (2021!). Join the gathering online to learn more about Alaska climate and weather.

More information and registration below

Tuesday, November 24 (11am ADT)
VAWS: NWS Alaska Sea Ice Program Operations
Mary-Beth Schreck
Sea Ice Program Leader
NWS Alaska Sea Ice Program
The Alaska Sea Ice Program (ASIP) is a unique program within the National Weather Service. The program has seen many changes over the years, including evolving from hand drawn sea ice analyses using a light box to GIS-based digital analyses. We will take a look at where we started, where we are now and what we do, and where we hope to be in the future. We will also look at some times when sea ice in Alaska waters has caused problems for both Alaska residents and others operating within Alaskan waters.

Please note unusual day for our VAWS webinar series

More information and registration below

--

TINA BUXBAUM Program Manager
Alaska Center for Climate Assessment & Policy