Upcoming ACCAP October Webinars - October 14, 16 and 27th.

Upcoming ACCAP October Webinars - October 14, 16 and 27th.

Tina Buxbaum
Hello All,
Below are the webinars we have coming up in October.
Please share as you see fit.
They will all be recorded and available at the links below.
Tina
Wednesday October 14 @11am
Friday, October 16 @ 12am
Tuesday, October 27 @11am
Wednesday, October 14 (11am ADT)
VAWS: Trends and regional variability of observed Arctic sea ice thickness
Zack Labe, Colorado State University
Unlike the passive microwave satellite record of Arctic sea ice extent, long-term observations of sea ice thickness remain quite limited. In this webinar, I’ll discuss the different methods (satellite instruments and model simulations) of observing sea ice thickness in order to understand changes in the recent Arctic amplification era. I’ll also highlight the large-scale environmental and societal consequences of a thinning Arctic sea ice cover.

More information and registration below

Friday, October 16 (12pm ADT)
October 2020 National Weather Service Alaska Climate Outlook Briefing
Rick Thoman, Alaska Center for Climate Assessment and Policy (ACCAP)
The tools and techniques for making monthly and season scale climate forecasts are rapidly changing, with the potential to provide useful forecasts at the month and longer range. We will review recent climate conditions around Alaska, review some forecast tools and finish up the Climate Prediction Center’s forecast for November and the winter season. Join the gathering online to learn more about Alaska climate and weather.

More information and registration below

Tuesday, October 27 (11am ADT)
Learning from a regional ocean model: How ocean acidification has changed the seascape of the Gulf of Alaska
Dr. Claudine Hauri, University of Alaska Fairbanks
Ocean acidification and climate change are quickly altering the Gulf of Alaska marine ecosystem. Dr. Hauri will present her latest modeling results on how ocean acidification has changed the marine habitats of some of Alaska’s most important species. She will also demonstrate how her publicly available model output can be easily used to study the seascape of the Gulf of Alaska.

Feel free to explore the Gulf of Alaska Ocean Acidification tool ahead of time.

Please note unusual time for our Tuesday webinar series

More information and registration below

--

TINA BUXBAUM Program Manager
Alaska Center for Climate Assessment & Policy