VR Glaciers teaching resource - update

Derek McDougall

Hi everyone,

*Apologies for cross-posting *

VR GLACIERS AND GLACIATED LANDSCAPES (https://vrglaciers.wp.worc.ac.uk)

There are new virtual field trips and resources on VR Glaciers and Glaciated Landscapes, with more to come later this year.

What is VR Glaciers and Glaciated Landscapes?

It is a free and easy-to-use resource that provides on-demand, simulated ground-level fieldwork to glaciers and glaciated landscapes. Its primary role is in supporting class- and lab-based teaching of glaciers and glaciation in schools, colleges and universities. It is not a replacement for real fieldwork, for which there is no substitute.

Why use it?

You can use the virtual fieldwork to create worksheets for use in class or as assessment items. The ground-level view is particularly helpful in developing geomorphological interpretation and mapping skills (geolocation data are supplied for use with Google Earth, ArcMap etc.). If you are looking to create interactive exercises for students with the minimum of fuss, this resource may be worth a look.

What’s new?

  • Additional virtual field trips in California (Tuolumne Meadows and Big Pine) and Switzerland (Roseg Valley and Grande Dixence Dam).
  • New links to the USGS National Map (for the California virtual field trips) and to the updated Swiss Glacier Monitoring Network website, plus additional geolocation data.
  • Refreshed design throughout, especially on the homepage (to make virtual field trips easier to browse).

Future developments

  • I have an old virtual field trip for the Arolla Valley (from 2008), which I will make available sometime soon. The change in the terminus of the Bas Arolla Glacier is dramatic, as you’d expect.
  • I’d like to extend the Moiry Glacier virtual field trip, and I hope to be able to do so this summer. I’ll include some additional glacier surface sites.
  • I will produce some more worksheets for school and university use, including one with a more glaciological emphasis.
  • I’m keen to start producing some 360° video content for those sites that would benefit from it.

Financial support is gratefully acknowledged from the University of Worcester, the Quaternary Research Association and the British Society for Geomorphology.

Best wishes,

Des

Dr Des McDougall

Deputy Head of School /