Vacancy: Research Scientist at Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Research

Vacancy: Research Scientist at Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Research

lilian
The Alfred-Wegener-Institute for Polar and Marine Research, department 'Sea Ice Physics' within the section of the Climate Sciences division seeks a

 research scientist (f/m)

interested in developing a model system for decadal climate prediction for the research project ‚Model initialisation by partially coupled spin-up’, which is funded in the context of the project „MiKlip – Mittelfristige Klimaprognosen“ (http://www.fona-miklip.de) by the BMBF(German Federal Ministry of Research and Technology).

The tasks include conceptual work in decadal prediction, implementation and analysis of simulations with coupled global climate models. Novel approaches will be applied in order to initialize the climate system as well as testing forecasts from a period of several years to decades.

Qualification: Post graduate preferably with doctoral degree in meteorology, oceanography, geophysics, physics or related disciplines. Knowledge of numerical simulation of hydro-dynamic processes and of climate physics is expected. Experience with coupled climate models or forecast of climate phenomena would be of advantage. Substantial computer knowledge (UNIX, Fortran, script languages, visualization tools) and interest in the role of sea ice within the climate system is expected as well as the willingness to participate in expeditions to the polar regions.

This is a temporary position limited to 3 years. The compensation is in compliance with the collective agreement of the public service compensation guidelines (TVöD, salary grade 13).

For more information please contact Prof. Dr. Rüdiger Gerdes ([hidden email]).

The AWI aims to increase the percentage of female employees in its scientific departments. Therefore, we encourage qualified female scientists to apply.

Disabled applicants will be given preference when equal qualifications are present; please see our notification on our homepage under job offers / jobs.

The AWI fosters the compatibility of work and family through various means. In Bremerhaven, the AWI operates its own nursery. Because of our engagement in the area of work-life compatibility we have been awarded the certificate “Career and Family”.

 Please forward your applications with the standard documentation (resume, photograph, credentials and activity reports) referencing 41/D/KLI by June 8, 2012, via postal mail to: Alfred-Wegener-Institut für Polar- und Meeresforschung, Personalabteilung, Postfach 12 01 61, 27515 Bremerhaven - http://www.awi.de or via Email (all documents attached as one pdf-file) to: [hidden email]