Vacancy: open position at the University of Innsbruck (Austria)
a University Assistant - Postdoc position is available in the research group "Alpine Hydroclimatology" at the Institute of Geography, University of Innsbruck (www.alpinehydroclimatology.net).
(internal Chiffre GEO-9620)
Duration: 6 years
Institution: Institute of Geography, University of Innsbruck
Hours per week: 40 hours
Working tasks include research in the following scientific fields:
- hydrological modelling in alpine watersheds
- development of numerical models and model interfaces
- downscaling of climate data
- coupling of climate and landsurface models
- scenario simulations
- contribution to the planning, realization and management of research projects
- further expansion and maintance of a hydroclimatological observation network in the Rofen Valley (Tyrol, Austria)
- teaching at bachelor and master level
- administrative work.
The work program for the successful candidate will be nested in a cooperative setting. Applicants should have experience in numerical modelling. Fluent English is a prerequisite, as is the motivation to publish in peer-reviewed journals.
The Institute of Geography has a long record of cryospheric research. We investigate snow, glacier and permafrost processes at various scales with a multitude of methods including remote sensing and modelling. Thereby we focus on the interaction between climate and the land surface/hydrosphere in mountain regions, and the development of inter- and transdisciplinary approaches for integrative views on the investigated systems.
- degree in geography or hydrology
- PhD in natural sciences
- knowledge in the field of alpine hydroclimatology
- expertise in the development and application of physically based process models
- experience in processing and analysis of climate model output (downscaling)
- programming skills (e.g. in FORTRAN, IDL, Python, R)
- motivation to carry out field work
- regional competences in alpine regions
- team-oriented working approach
- communication skills