Visiting Instructor in Climate Science (1 - 2 years) at University of Portland

Visiting Instructor in Climate Science (1 - 2 years) at University of Portland

Sweeney, Kristin

Hello all,

The Department of Environmental Studies at University of Portland seeks applications for a 1-year, full-time Visiting Instructor position (with likelihood of renewal for a second year), to provide instruction for lecture and laboratory courses in oceanography, climatology, and/or atmospheric science. The position will begin August 15, 2018. We expect a related search at the tenure-track assistant professor level for fall 2020.

The department has 4 full-time faculty and 6 concurrent faculty from across the University. We offer a B.S. in Environmental Science and a B.A. in Environmental Ethics and Policy and have ~100 majors. The department is known on campus for a strong focus on student research and community engagement; we are especially interested in candidates with interest in fostering these activities.

Duties and Responsibilities:

Teaching duties will be primarily existing upper-level curriculum, including climatology, meteorology (or a class of the candidate’s choice), atmospheric or ocean science laboratory, and physical oceanography. Depending on candidate interest, there is also the opportunity to teach introductory-level natural hazards or develop a 300-level course in the candidate’s specialty. The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester.

Qualifications

We prefer that candidates hold a PhD in environmental science, geography, atmospheric science, oceanography, earth science, or a related field at the time of employment. Outstanding candidates who are ABD are also encouraged to apply. Successful candidates should: (1) demonstrate a commitment to excellence and reflection in undergraduate teaching and (2) provide evidence of their ability to work in a collegial, interdisciplinary scholarly environment.

Application Instructions

Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, unofficial graduate transcripts, and contact information for three references at up.hiretouch.edu and via email to [hidden email]. Due to the short timeframe, interviews will be conducted and offers made on a rolling basis. Please contact Kristin Sweeney, [hidden email], with any questions.