WAIS Workshop abstract deadline EXTENDED

WAIS Workshop abstract deadline EXTENDED

Matthew Siegfried-2
Dear colleagues,

Given the relatively short turn around between AGU and WAIS Workshop abstracts, we have decided to extend the WAIS Workshop abstract submission and NSF- and NASA-sponsored early-career support application deadlines until Monday, August 12th at 5 PDT. Note, if you were rushed writing your already-submitted abstract, you can log back into our abstract submission website and edit the text accordingly. We hope this gives you plenty of time to put together a great abstract. Please

While we’re here, registration for WAIS Workshop 2019 is already almost 50% full, so please be sure to register if you are planning on attending in order to reserve your spot before we fill up! The deadline for registration is September 10.

See you in October!

WAIS Workshop Organizing Committee

--
26th Annual West Antarctic Ice Sheet Workshop
October 16-18, 2019

WAIS Workshop registration and abstract submission is now open!
We are pleased to announce that registration and abstract submission for the 2019 WAIS Workshop is now open. You can find the link to register, as well as all the details about the Workshop, at the 2019 WAIS Workshop website, https://www.waisworkshop.org/2019-wais-workshop. Please read the web site for details about this year's meeting, which will directly follow the U.S. Interdisciplinary Antarctic Earth Sciences Meeting and Deep Field Camp Planning Workshop.

The deadline for abstract submission is August 7, and the deadline to register for the conference is September 10. We also will offer travel support for students and early career researchers. Deadline to apply for funding is also August 7, but please apply early! See guidelines here. We define "early career" as within 5 years of receiving a PhD, or less than 5 years in total if there was a break due to family obligations.

The NSF- and NASA-sponsored WAIS Workshop is a transdisciplinary conference focused on marine ice-sheets and adjacent Earth systems, with a particular emphasis on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. The Workshop hosts talks and posters from a diversity of fields, including glaciology, oceanography, atmospheric science, biology, computer science, and engineering, in order to capture the full breadth of the marine ice-sheet system in order to constrain the past, present, and future state of West Antarctica. This year’s session include:

Will the snowflakes save us? Near-surface science in West Antarctica using shallow geophysics, ice cores, firn studies, atmospheric reanalysis, meteorological observations, and modeling
Processes Beneath: Deep geophysics, direct-access experiments, microbiology, sediment coring, and modeling for quantifying critical processes from the basal interface to the core
The Great Glacier Conveyer - A John Nye & Wally Broecker Appreciation Session: Connecting paleo understanding with modern processes
From The Sea: Polar oceanography, tropical teleconnections, marine life, and ice front dynamics and their impact on a changing WAIS
The Leading Edge: New boundary conditions, new modeling techniques, Operation IceBridge, ICESat-2, GRACE, GRACE-FO, NISAR, and data science applications for West Antarctic science
Dynamics across the grounding line: Past, present, and future understanding of the ice stream-grounding zone-ice shelf transition seen from the ground, air, satellites, and models
Science Communication: Taking WAIS science beyond our room
Community Health: Avoiding, acknowledging, and approaching issues with field harassment

Diversity, equity, and inclusion are embraced at the WAIS Workshop, and we are committed to creating and maintaining a workshop environment that is safe, inclusive, and welcoming to all genders, races, identities, self-expressions, ethnicities and cultures. Please contact the Organizing Committee if you have any questions or concerns regarding the WAIS Workshop by emailing [hidden email].

Hope to see you all in October in sunny Southern California!

Best,
The WAIS Workshop Organizing Committee & Local Host

Knut Christianson
Indrani Das
Joseph Macgregor
Brooke Medley