Water-holding capacity of snow

S LAWRENCE DINGMAN
We are revising my text Physical Hydrology and are hoping to find an empirically-supported relation between the liquid water-holding capacity of ripe snow and snow density that is valid at low densities. The relation given in the current (2nd) edition is based on measurements at the Central Sierra Snow Lab in the 1950s, and the data are only for densities above 0.43 kg/m^3:

theta-ret  =  2.67E-4*(rho-s/rho-w)^2  -  7.35E-2*(rho-s/rho-w)

where theta-ret is the ratio of liquid water content to porosity, rho-s is snow density (kg/m^3), and rho-w is water density (kg/m^3) [Eqn. (5-15), Fig. 5-20 of the text].

 We have not found any other data. We can extrapolate the relation to lower densities, but are hoping some Cryolister knows of a study that extends to lower densities.

Thanks for any help!

Larry Dingman

S. Lawrence Dingman
Professor of Earth Sciences Emeritus