Webinar today: risk assessment to Alaskan villages from flooding, erosion, and thawing permafrost

Webinar today: risk assessment to Alaskan villages from flooding, erosion, and thawing permafrost

Jessica Rohde

Dear Colleagues,

The leaders of the Permafrost Collaboration Team (PCT- IARPC), we invite all interested researchers and stakeholders to participate in our meeting on 22 January at 2 PM Eastern Time (1900 UTC/GMT), 10 AM Alaska Time

This meeting will feature a webinar “Assessing the Risk to Alaskan Villages from Flooding, Erosion and Thawing Permafrost" delivered by Bill Schnabel, PE, PhD – Director, University of Alaska Fairbanks Institute of Northern Engineering.

How do I participate?

Go to :

Or if you don’t already have an account on IARPC Collaborations, where information is shared among the 1000+ members of our research community: https://www.iarpccollaborations.org/request-account.html. Once you have an account, join our collaboration team (https://www.iarpccollaborations.org/members/people/teams/2663) and you will automatically be notified of upcoming collaboration team meetings via email.

Why participate in IARPC Collaborations?

While the IARPC Arctic Research Plan is a Federal product and responsibility, IARPC recognizes that implementation cannot be accomplished without the research community. Therefore, collaboration teams and the IARPC collaborations website are open to participation by all stakeholders. The IARPC collaboration teams and website has created a new level of transparency in the research endeavor where information is flowing between the community and Federal agencies. Think of it as a regular science workshop, but on an ongoing and monthly basis. Learn more about IARPC Collaborations here: https://www.iarpccollaborations.org/about.html

  • Communicate regularly with Federal program managers and the research community. The conversations enabled through IARPC Collaborations have created an unprecedented level of information exchange.  The research community benefits from the ongoing, monthly meetings where they can present their research to peers and program managers and learn about new research efforts within their field. Program officers, always eager to learn about research activities and priorities from the community, are able to do so on a regular basis. Program managers learn about one another’s programs, and identify synergies between programs and programmatic gaps.
  • See your research results in reports to Congress and Federal agencies. Reporting on implementation of the Arctic Research Plan goes to the IARPC principals, chaired by the Director of the National Science Foundation and made up of representatives of 14 Federal agencies, and to Congress. Anyone may submit their contributions to our Arctic Research Plan and see their research in these reports.

·       We hope you will consider participating in PCT meetings, posting information on the website and getting involved in a meaningful way that benefits you and the work you are doing. If you should have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Andrew Balser

Christina Schaedel

Ben Jones