Weds 13th Jan - IGS Global Seminar Series - Francisco Navarro

Weds 13th Jan - IGS Global Seminar Series - Francisco Navarro

Murray T.

Happy New Year all! After our short seasonal break we are restarting the IGS Seminar series again. Please check your link in advance – if all is good you should see the waiting room – any issues try re: registering and if that doesn’t help drop me an email.

We start the 2021 series with:

International Glaciological Society Global Seminar Series 2021 #29

Wednesday Jan 13th 2021

Francisco Navarro, Madrid

"Hiatus of mass losses from Hurd and Johnsons glaciers, Livingston Island, during the regional cooling period 2002-2016 of the Northern Antarctic Peninsula"

You need to register in advance for the seminars, but your registration should last for several seminars. If it was a while ago that you registered - check your link still works and drop me an email if it doesn't. There's a short question to answer - please tell me enough to accept you! I'll be doing that manually, so just be kind and make it obvious (even if I met you once at AGU)… (something like: I'm a PhD student with X... or whatever). Using your official university email address would make my life particularly easy!

https://tinyurl.com/yyhbcqrq

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the seminar. If you attended this week you use the same link next week and don't need to re-register.

• Jan 20th Adrian Luckman, Swansea University, "Larsen C and Brunt Ice Shelves - ice dynamics, rifts and stuff"
• Jan 27th Beata Csatho, University at Buffalo
• Feb 3rd Three shorter talks:
Lavanya Ashokkumar, University of Arizona, “'Future mass loss rates from a GRACE constrained glacier model”
Jakob Steiner, Utrecht University / ICIMOD(Nepal), “'Vertical ice - ice cliffs in the Himalaya and northern Greenland”
Nate Stevens, University of Wisconsin, “'Tuning into the stick-slip channel: observations of tight linkage between melt-season hydrology and seismogenic sliding at Saskatchewan Glacier”
• Feb 11th Mike Wood, JPL, "Melt from below: Ocean warming and the demise of Greenland's glaciers"
• Feb 17th Regine Hock, University of Oslo, "Assessing and projecting global glacier mass changes"
• Feb 24th Alex Robel, Georgia Tech, "Beyond the Ice Sheet Stability Binary"

• March 3rd Three shorter talks: Jullian Williams (U Texas, San Antonio) “Sea Ice lead detection in the Arctic", other speakers tba

• March 10th Jon Hawkings (Florida State), Martin Tranter (Bristol), Mark Skidmore (Montana State) "Biogeochemistry of ice sheet meltwater: surface, bed and runoff"
• March 17th Three shorter talks:
Maurice van Tiggelen, Utrecht University, “The turbulent but predictable relationship between rough Greenland ice and the atmosphere : the story from a drone, ICESat -2 and several eddy covariance stations“
Lynn Kaluzienski, University of Maine, “Modelling Ross Ice Shelf Sensitivity to Changes at its Western Lateral Margin using the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM) “
Kate Winter, Northumbria University, “Radar detected englacial sediments“
• March 24th Dustin Schroeder, Stanford, "Paths Forward in Radioglaciology"

• March 31st Drew Christ, University of Vermont, "A multi-million-year-old record of Greenland vegetation and glacial history preserved in sediment beneath 1.4 km of ice at Camp Century"

• April 14th Joseph Graly, Northumbria University, "What do we know about subglacial geochemistry?"

• April 21st Lauren Simkins, University of Virginia, "Landform evidence of persistent subglacial plumbing near grounding lines"

• April 28th Jan Lenaerts, University of Boulder at Colorado, “Scratching the ice sheet surface: surface processes from observations and numerical models

Seminar times:

London - 9pm
Europe - 10pm
East Coast US - 4pm
West Coast US - 1pm
Delhi (+1) - 2.30am (sorry!)
Tokyo (+1) - 6am
Sydney (+1) - 8am
New Zealand (+1) - 10am

The seminar will also be recorded and posted to the Friends of the International Glaciological Society Facebook page after the seminar so that you can watch it afterwards if technology fails or you can't make it! Hope to see you there!