>> Call for Participation - Round 2 of NGS Kinematic GPS Challenge <<

>> Call for Participation - Round 2 of NGS Kinematic GPS Challenge <<

Theresa Diehl - NOAA Federal
Hello all,
This is a call for participants that will be of interest to remote sensing groups (especially any doing aerogravity). We look forward to your responses!

Best,
Theresa

>> Call for Participation <<

NOAA’s National Geodetic Survey (NGS) is conducting a 12-year project, called Gravity for the Redefinition of the American Vertical Datum (GRAV-D), to re-define the vertical datum of the United States by flying airborne gravity missions.  The accuracy of the resulting vertical datum depends directly on the quality of the aircraft’s GNSS position solutions.

In August 2010, NGS issued a "Kinematic GPS Challenge" to seek community input on the best practices for processing this large positioning data volume. Ten international groups answered the call, submitting sixteen different position solutions calculated with a variety of software and techniques.  However, the majority of solutions were corrupted by a characteristic “sawtooth” pattern which was tracked back to the aircraft receiver used in the initial Challenge; instead, a second onboard GNSS receiver is used for this Challenge reissue.  Also in this new call for participation, inertial measurement unit (IMU) data are made available for joint GPS+IMU processing.

To further facilitate our software and method development, we invite interested researchers and practitioners to compute and submit solutions from samples of actual GRAV-D data. In this new call, NGS requests that all participants submit a GPS-only solution utilizing the new aircraft GPS data.  For those able to process with IMU data, we request additional submission of a second IMU+GPS solution.  NGS would like to receive all solutions by April 1, 2013.

This is a strictly voluntary exercise for those interested in such a comparison and we will share our results with the participants. We are also interested in possibly co-authoring a publication with the participants on the topic if results are significant.

Detailed information on the Challenge is available here:
* test description for second call ftp://ftp.ngs.noaa.gov/dist/tdiehl/Kinematic_GPS_Processing_Challenge/Call2_Jan2013/GRAVD_KinematicGPS_Call2.pdf
* Challenge website http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GRAV-D/gpschallenge.shtml

Please read through the test description (PDF link given above) and email Gerry Mader (gerald.l.mader at noaa.gov) and Theresa Diehl (theresa.diehl at noaa.gov) you plan to participate or if you have any questions. Also, please feel free to forward this announcement to any person or group who you think might be interested but might not be on this mailing list. We look forward to your participation!

Gerry Mader
Theresa Diehl
National Geodetic Survey

Dr. Theresa Diehl
NOAA- National Geodetic Survey             Work: 301-713-2851 x209
1315 East-West Highway, SSMC3           Work Cell: 240-997-1282
N/NGS6, RM 8115                                      Fax: 301-713-4315