(no subject)

James Turrin
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  CRYOLIST Mailing
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Cryolist Members,

I am seeking advice regarding modelling ice dynamics of mountain glaciers. I wish to model the ice dynamics of temperate mountain glaciers in southern Alaska using velocity fields, strain rates, ice thickness, and meteorological data as input, in an attempt to simulate a glacier's future state in response to expected climatic trends. Can anyone suggest an ice sheet model or other readily-available program which may be applicable?

Sincerely,

Jamie Turrin

Graduate Research Assistant

University of Utah

Re: (no subject)

David Wolfe
  CRYOLIST Mailing
Jamie-
I have recently completed a masters degree on change of glacier dammed lakes across Alaska over time. These data may be of interest to you, depending on the extent of range of the southern Alaska glaciers. I looked at glaciers south of the Tanana River. There was a marked longitudinal diffence in the rate of change between Glacier Bay and Mt illiamna, with much greater change to the West. Several of my data points may be of use in modeling glacier change. My baseline data was published in 1971 from 1960s aerial photos, and I used satellite imagery acquired since 2000 for the update. Highly significant change has occured over these 40 years, and I believe models can be developed further from this start. Aside from longitude (NOT latitude!! in my study area), aspect played a large role with smaller roles played by glacier origin type (cirque vs icefield) and glacier order (along the lines of stream order; how many tributaries contribute to the trunk).
Feel free to contact me at [hidden email] .
Dave Wolfe