postdoctoral position at UChicago

Jason Amundson-2
Dear Cryolist,
I am forwarding an e-mail from a colleague, Wendy Zhang, who works in
the physics department at the University of Chicago. She is looking for
a "creative theory postdoc" with overlapping research interests,
including wave propagation through ice shelves and ice-choked fjords
(see item 2 below). If you are interested, or know of somebody that
might be, please contact Wendy at [hidden email].

Cheers,
Jason Amundson

Dear Friends,

I am writing to let you know that we are looking for a soft condensed matter theory postdoctoral scholar, starting approximately summer 2012. The postdoctoral scholar should have
(a) a Ph.D.
(b) excellent research accomplishments
(c) research interests that overlap with my group as well as works, both experimental and theory, in soft condensed matter at the University of Chicago.

The postdoctoral scholar will be encouraged to develop his/her own research projects as well as work collaboratively between different research groups at the James Franck institute.

Just to give an example, some questions my group is exploring now are

1. How does the impact of a granular / suspension jet create a rigid accretion zone?  Also, impact is dominated by inertia.  What are the relevant dissipation mechanisms? How are they different from liquid impact?

Answers to these questions are relevant for controlling the deposition in ink jet printing technologies using dense suspensions, as well as efforts in astrophysics to understand how violent collisions between stellar dust aggregates manage to create large aggregates (planetesimals).  Maybe it will also tell us why people can run, but not walk, over a deep layer of cornstarch!  This work also overlaps with research in Heinrich, Sid and William's groups.

2. How do crevasses affect the propagation of elastic flexural waves through an ice shelf? How does an ice melange, a rubble of iceberg fragments, insulate a glacier from wave and tidal disturbances? Equivalently, how does the large energy released by calving of an iceberg near the terminus of a glacier get transmitted through the melange?

This is a collaboration with glaciologists Douglas MacAyeal (geophysics, U. Chicago) and Jason Amundson (geophysics, U. Alaska).

Please do spread news and encourage candidates to apply.  If you would like more information about the position, do contact me.

best wishes,
Wendy Zhang