query: Beringia submergence dates in Pleistocene?

query: Beringia submergence dates in Pleistocene?

Dr P. Forster
Dear Cryolist members,

I am a geneticist working on prehistoric movements of mammals, and am
therefore looking for an authoritative publication on the submergence dates
of the Bering Straits/Beringia during the Pliocene and Pleistocene.
Unfortunately nearly all the publications I have seen so far concentrate
only on the Last Glaciation...

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you,
Peter Forster
Cambridge, UK

Re: query: Beringia submergence dates in Pleistocene?

Jeffrey Kargel
Dr. Forster,

Personally, I would go for inferences based on sea level curve once you go into mid/early Pleistocene.  I would not trust that approach into the Pliocene, but I don't think there has been a huge change in the structure of the isthmus during the Pleistocene, aside from the changes caused by sea level fluctuations.  I know this is not what you were really looking for.  If you really needed definitive geologic data or other observational data, I am not sure what has been done, but there has been maybe more work done than you think.  The Pliocene is a bit tricky, because more has gone on since then other than sea level changes.  There was work by:
Kaufman, D.S., 1992, Geol. Soc. Amer. Bull 104, 40-52.
Brigham-Gette, J., 2001, Quat. Sci. Rev., 20, 15-24.

Probably a lot more, but those are two papers I have.

--Jeff Kargel