"Looking for work" postings to Cryolist

Chris Marsh
Hi all,

Recently, there has been an steady influx of 'looking for work' posts to Cryolist. However, we are of two minds regarding this.

a) Cryolist is a good venue for people looking for work as there are many hiring opportunities.
versus
b) We risk having the list flooded with job seekers, thus reducing the quality and applicability of the list. There has already been some concern raised with the volume of conference abstract requests, so I'd like to keep the S/N at an appropriate level for the majority of people.

I don't think this is a problem yet, although I could imagine it quickly becoming one. It is also a grey transition between 'a few' and 'too many' posts.

So members of Cryolist, I put it to you -- what do you think the stance on "looking for work" posts should be?

1) Let a few through (i.e.; ignore it for now) and see if it becomes a problem (how to determine if it does?).
2) Allow all looking for work posts.
3) Disallow all looking for work posts from this point onward?

I look forward to you input,

Cheers
Chris

A Cryolist moderator.

Chris Marsh
MSc Candidate
chrismarsh.ca

13 Kirk Hall
University of Saskatchewan

Re: "Looking for work" postings to Cryolist

Ted Scambos-2
quick reply -
disallow. People are welcome to look for work on the list, and make use of
the posted job searches, but not post 'looking for work' requests.
Ted Scambos

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Chris Marsh wrote:

> Hi all,
> Recently, there has been an steady influx of 'looking for work' posts to Cryolist. However, we are of
> two minds regarding this.

Re: "Looking for work" postings to Cryolist

ihowat
I'd suggest only allowing the ones from people that are smart,
hard-working and looking for little or no pay.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Ted Scambos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> quick reply -
> disallow. People are welcome to look for work on the list, and make use of
> the posted job searches, but not post 'looking for work' requests.
> Ted Scambos
>

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Chris Marsh wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Recently, there has been an steady influx of 'looking for work' posts to
>> Cryolist. However, we are of
>> two minds regarding this.

Re: "Looking for work" postings to Cryolist

Todd Albert
List,

Let's not flood the list with responses. Please send them directly to Chris Marsh at [hidden email]

Thanks,
Todd

P.S. I am looking for work (seriously) in the South Florida area as I need to move there for family obligations. If you hear of anything…

Todd Albert, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Meteorology
University of Tennessee at Martin
201-C Johnson EPS
Weather Blog: http://tnmesonet.org/
CRYOLIST: http://cryolist.org/
Twitter: toddalbert ◊ Flickr: earthclimate ◊ Instagram: cirestodd

Too short? Here's why: http://emailcharter.org/