request for input to IPCC sea level projections

request for input to IPCC sea level projections

Tony Payne
Dear Cryolist

As many of you will be aware, we are now nearing the end of the IPCC 4th Assessment Report (AR4) cycle.  July 31st is the deadline by which papers need to have been submitted if they are to be cited in AR4.  Jonathan Gregory, Anders Levermann, Tad Pfeffer and myself are lead authors on the Sea Level chapter handling projections of the contributions from ice sheet SMB and dynamics, as well as glaciers, to sea level up to 2100 and beyond.

We are currently preparing the Second Order Draft (SOD) and it would therefore be very helpful to the authorship team to know if you are currently working on a manuscript that you may think may be of relevant to our chapter.  The emphasis of our chapter is very much on projections and the testing of models used to make these projections; observations and models related to their interpretation are the realm of Chapter 4 Cryosphere.    There is a limited amount of time between the 31st July and the deadline for submission of the SOD, so that access to up-to-date manuscripts will be crucial to our ability to include the findings of all available work accurately.

At this stage, it would be useful if you could send the following details to me (for ice sheet dynamics), Jonathan (for ice sheet SMB) and Tad (for glaciers):

1/ title of paper
2/ likely authorship
3/ target journal
4/ if possible, abstract, early draft or, at least a paragraph on aim of the paper.

All material will, of course be treated confidentially by the authorships team.    It would be very helpful to us if we could have your initial responses by end April.

All the best

tony, tad, anders and jonathan

--
------------------------<>---------------------------
Tony Payne

Disappearing glaciers featured in WIRED (UK edition)

Grant W. Petty

Last month's issue of WIRED magazine (UK edition) has an article and photo
gallery entitled: "Last chance to see: a photographic tour of Earth's
doomed ice" (http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/06/features/last-chance-to-see)

The gallery features current photographs by Klaus Thyman as well as Dr.
Bernard Francou's photograph of the Caldera glacier on Ecuador's El Altar
volcano taken in 1999 and previously appearing in my colleague Prof.
Stefan Hastenrath's volume, "Recession of Equatorial Glaciers - A Photo
Documentation"
(http://www.sundogpublishing.com/shop/recession-of-equatorial-glaciers-a-photo-documenation-s-hastenrath/)

    regards,
    Grant Petty