vEGU2021: Environmental Seismology session

vEGU2021: Environmental Seismology session

Anne Schöpa

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite you to submit an abstract to our session

GM2.8

Our invited speaker is Kate Allstadt from the USGS Geologic Hazard Science Center.

Abstracts can be submitted until the 13th of January 2021 at 13:00 CET.
Please, feel free to forward this invitation to your colleagues.

We are looking forward to receiving your contributions and to meeting you virtually at vEGU2021.

Best wishes,
Anne Schöpa, Maarten Bakker, Velio Coviello, Andrea Manconi, Wei-An Chao

Useful links:
vEGU2021 website: www.egu2021.eu
vEGU2021 format: https://egu21.eu/about/provisional_format_of_egu21.html
Session details: https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU21/session/40282

GM2.8 EDI
Seismic techniques are becoming widely used to detect and quantitatively characterise a wide variety of natural processes occurring at the Earth’s surface. These processes include mass movements such as landslides, rock falls, debris flows and lahars; glacial phenomena such as icequakes, glacier calving/serac falls, glacier melt and supra- to sub-glacial hydrology; snow avalanches; water storage and water dynamics phenomena such as water table changes, river flow turbulence and fluvial sediment transport. Where other methods often provide limited spatial and temporal coverage, seismic observations allow recovering sequences of events with high temporal resolution and over large areas. These observational capabilities allow establishing connections with meteorological drivers, and give unprecedented insights on the underlying physics of the various Earth’s surface processes as well as on their interactions (chains of events). These capabilities are also of first interest for real time hazards monitoring and early warning purposes. In particular, seismic monitoring techniques can provide relevant information on the dynamics of flows and unstable slopes, and thus allow for the identification of precursory patterns of hazardous events and timely warning.

This session aims at bringing together scientists who use seismic methods to study Earth surface dynamics. We invite contributions from the field of geomorphology, cryospheric sciences, seismology, natural hazards, volcanology, soil system sciences and hydrology. Theoretical, field based and experimental approaches are highly welcome.

Solicited presenter: Kate Allstadt - USGS Geologic Hazards Science Center, Golden, CO, USA

Dr. Anne Schöpa
Section 4.6 Geomorphology
Building F, Room 427
Tel.: +49 (0)331/288-28828
Fax: +49 (0)331/288-1814
Helmholtz Centre Potsdam
GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences
Public Law Foundation State of Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg
D-14473 Potsdam
Germany

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment